Lab Cat Games
Based in Eugene, Oregon
Frenzied bullet hell action covered in an RPG candy shell. Kite's goal has always been to get the players adrenaline pumping, make them pucker up and finally deliver them into a zen garden of customization. Gameplay is classic twin-stick shmup, but each level has a different objective chain to complete and focuses on a specific mechanic or feature. After completion, players are ranked and features are unlocked based on their performance. Next, it's time to prepare for battle by customizing character load out - changing the items/abilities/weapons/companions and tweaking stats.
Kite's name is a reference to the classic gaming trope 'kiting'. When a player is being chased by an enemy, together they resemble someone flying a kite, as if the player had the enemy on a string and was leading it along. If the player can still attack the enemy while running away it is a very powerful way to avoid being hurt while still doing damage, and is a common technique in almost every action game. No surprise, Kite's gameplay revovles around this mechanic. To spice it up, the player is equiped with turbo speed and bullet time for slow motion aiming or dodging. Combining them gives you ultimate speed and control, allowing you to get into or out of impossible combat situations. Pulling inspiration from '90s era gaming and injecting it with modern controls, customization and intricate detail, Kite is meant to play smooth and fast while still scratching that nostalgic itch.
- Massive destructible pixel art environments.
- Endless customization and viable builds aplenty.
- All original retro-future synthwave 3D audio.
- Rescue a huge cast of characters, each granting new upgrades.
- Descover the truth behind the robot uprising and secure the master databanks!
Kite Trailer YouTube
Kite Special Abilities YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "High octane objective based combat!"
- Highsight, highsight.tv
- "“An isometric “Contra”. Direct influences were SNES titles like “The Chaos Engine”, “SmashTV” and “Zombies Ate my Neighbours”."
- Slack-O-Tastic Magazine, Slack-O-Tastic
- "You can't fault this game for it's arsenal of weaponry."
- Highsight, highsight.tv
- "MY GOD THIS MUSIC IS AMAZING"
- Random Twitch Viewer, twitch.tv
Steam Store Page
Purchase or Follow Kite store.steampowered.com.
Download Alpha Build
Kite Alpha from Itch.io labcatgames.itch.io.
Various Screen Shots and GIFs imgur.com.
About Lab Cat Games
Kite is the flagship project of Lab Cat games, a one person development studio with a love of old school gaming. The distinctive retro-future setting, synthwave soundtrack and pixel art style are hallmarks of Kite and the kind of nostalgic experiences Lab Cat Games aims to produce.
More information on Lab Cat Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Owner Lab Cat Games